Skip to content
Search
AI Powered
Latest Stories

Retailer shocked as Spar store devastated in brutal ram-raid [Exclusive]

brutal ram-raid

A leading retailer of a family-run convenience store, operating since 1937, has been left with significant financial losses, deep trauma and emotional strain following an ugly incident of ram-raid that left the store completely damaged.

Early last Friday (27), five individuals smashed through the front doors of Spar Minster Lovell near Witney in Oxfordshire and used a vehicle to pull an ATM machine through the premises, causing extensive damage to the shop’s infrastructure and stock.


Retailer Ian Lewis, the store owner, recounted the incident to Asian Trader, describing how five individuals used a sledgehammer to break through the front doors before strapping the store's ATM to a vehicle and dragging it through the store.

Lewis told Asian Trader, “Last Friday morning, five males sledgehammered through the front doors and quickly strapped the cash machine to the back of one vehicle and then proceeded to pull it.

“The cash machine is at the back of the store. It was pulled and dragged right through the chiller and ambient area, causing extensive damage to the store, chiller doors and, stock.

“The culprits then took away with the cash machine. They couldn't get into the first vehicle, so they had to use a second one.”

At the time of this conversation, Lewis was waiting for the insurance company to visit. However, he suspects the damage to reach tens of thousands of pounds.

He said, “The automatic doors of the store were replaced recently on Dec 17, after the last break in that happened in September. We haven't even paid that bill fully and the doors are now completely damaged. This is over and above all the damage that the store sustained.

"Since the machine was at the back, almost the whole store has been shattered since it was pulled and dragged through, breaking everything that came on the way."

The impact goes beyond the financial burden, with Lewis expressing concern for his elderly parents, who live above the store and have been left deeply shaken.

He said, “But the worst thing here is that my elderly parents live above the store. They are still shaken and heartbroken. Its been a very traumatic week for us as a family. I can't believe it's nearly a week already; its pretty devastating.”


Lewis is also concerned over the mental health of early morning staff.

"It's been a very difficult time for everyone here. We've obviously got early morning staff that come in who are worried now. I am more worried about the safety of my parents who live a floor above.

“I am not able to sleep properly, nor my sister. The whole incident is taking a huge toll on us mentally and physically.”

The police is investigating the case and according to Lewis, has been quite proactive in this matter.

“The police has recovered both vehicles. They are confident that they have got a lead and something to work with. The police have been pretty proactive so hopefully we'll get something, and hopefully the offenders will be caught and brought to justice.”

The fourth generation family business, opened in 1937, has been targeted second time in four months. Earlier in September last year, a group of four masked men were caught on store's camera trying to break in the store before they cut the CCTV connection.

Lewis believes that the cash machine was the target at that time too though they couldn’t get through so they gave up and left.

“The police could not find anything so they actually closed that case. It is still not sure whether the two cases are linked.

“May be because they just could not get through last time so they came back again better prepared or may be it is a completely separate incident and not the same men," he said.

The rise in ram-raids targeting convenience stores with ATM machines is a growing concern across the sector. For Lewis, the repeated attacks have led to serious doubts about keeping an ATM in the store.

Lewis wrote on a social media platform, "Seeing the damage to the shop—our family business—and knowing my parents were upstairs during the break-in is something I’ll never forget. The voicemail I received from my dad yesterday morning, filled with fear and distress, will stay with me forever.

"This is the second time we’ve been targeted in just three months, and the damage this time is far more extensive. While we’re still processing the impact, one thing we are incredibly grateful for is the overwhelming support we’ve received.

"To our local community, your messages, visits, and offers of help have meant the world to us. Knowing how much this shop means to all of you gives us the strength to keep going during what feels like an impossible time.

"A huge thank you must also go to AF Blakemore & Son Ltd for their incredible support. Their guidance and assistance have been invaluable, reminding us that we’re not alone in this. While the road ahead feels uncertain, we’re determined to rebuild and continue serving our community."